TIA Yukon’s Process for Requests for Letters of Support for Yukon Tourism Advisory Board (YTAB)
The Yukon Government is currently accepting applications for the Yukon Tourism Advisory Board (YTAB): http://www.eco.gov.yk.ca/tourism-advisory-board-yukon.html
In accordance with YG’s application process for YTAB, applicants must provide Letters of Support from key organizations in the Yukon with interests in tourism.
TIA Yukon is the voice of the Yukon’s tourism industry and an umbrella organization comprised of the key sectoral and regional tourism groups in the territory:
- Wilderness Tourism Association of the Yukon (WTAY)
- Yukon First Nation Culture and Tourism (YFNCT)
- Yukon Historical and Museums Association (YHMA)
- Klondike Visitors Association (KVA)
- Yukon Outfitters Association (YOA)
- Yukon Convention Bureau (YCB)
While organizations are free to issue their own letters, a letter of support from TIA Yukon is considered a unified letter of support from all of these organizations.
To those prospective YTAB applicants seeking Letters of Support:
YTAB should be comprised of a high level, senior team of highly qualified and experienced tourism experts.
Applicants for a Letter of Support for the Yukon Tourism Advisory Board (YTAB) should have 10 years or more tourism-specific business experience, with both trade and consumer marketing experience, and should be recognized within the YT tourism community as a credible tourism expert.
All applicants are expected to possess a big picture, high level, forward thinking, macro vision for the role of tourism in the economy.
All applicants should demonstrate a thorough understanding of the Yukon Tourism Development Strategy (YTDS).
Factors considered by the TIA Yukon Board when requests for Letters of Support are assessed will include but not be limited to:
- Social media experience
- Experience managing a tourism account within an advertising agency
- Accommodation management/marketing experience
- Transportation management/marketing
- Wilderness tourism marketing experience
- Background in hands-on product development
- Knowledge of international markets
- Background working with Yukon First Nations and an understanding of indigenous tourism product/experiences
- Experience working in Yukon communities
- Significant statistical market analysis expertise
- Current awareness of sustainable tourism issues
- Demonstrated awareness of cultural/heritage tourism sector issues and status
- Capacity to review large amounts of documentation
- Demonstrated aptitude for seeking and receiving feedback from industry members, industry associations and the public
- Tourism attractions experience
- Niche markets experience
Those requesting a Letter of Support for YTAB should submit:
1. A CV outlining your knowledge and experience; and
2. A brief explanation (500 words max, both in digital format) of why you think you are a good candidate for the YTAB.
Requests to TIA Yukon for Letters of Support for YTAB must be submitted to the TIA Yukon Office by 12pm on February 14th. All requests should be made electronically and sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All requests will be assessed by the TIA Yukon Board and those that are approved will receive a Letter of Support by February 25th.
For more information, please contact the TIA Yukon office at 668-3331.
Yukon Tourism Development Strategy
The Yukon Tourism Development Strategy is guided by the core values expressed by Yukoners and lays out a ten-year vision for tourism to be a vibrant, sustainable component of Yukon’s economy and society for the benefit of future generations. It also includes goals that balance economic, environmental and social priorities, and is supported by strategic actions to bring the vision to life.
The strategy is the culmination of a fourteen-month process to develop a long-term vision for sustainably growing tourism in the territory. Guided by a steering committee of industry experts, the strategy was developed based on best practices around the globe and comprehensive engagement with tourism industry stakeholders, Yukon First Nations, municipalities, the arts and culture community and the public.
The Yukon Tourism Development Strategy Steering Committee has recommended Sustainable Tourism. Our Path. Our Future. to the Government of Yukon. This recommended strategy lays out a 10-year vision for tourism to be a vibrant, sustainable component of Yukon’s economy and society for the benefit of future generations. It is the culmination of a fourteen-month process to develop a long-term vision for sustainably growing tourism in the territory.