Yukon Elevate Tourism Program (Elevate)
The Yukon Elevate Tourism Program (Elevate) provides an opportunity for the Yukon’s tourism industry to contribute to a rethinking, restructuring, and rebuilding of tourism in the territory so that the industry can be more progressive, impactful, and sustainable.
In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Elevate 2020/2021 program was designed to respond to the disproportionate impacts of the crisis on the tourism industry and to be better positioned to thrive now and going forward.
This new Elevate program will run from October 2021 to March 2023 and will continue to support Yukon’s tourism industry as we start the long road towards recovery and plan together for the future.
Elevate will enable eligible Yukon tourism businesses and organizations to access funding to:
- take advantage of post-pandemic opportunities through strategic planning for medium to long-term investments,
- adapt to the “new normal”,
- modernize tourism offerings, or
- adopt more environmentally sustainable practices.
Learn more about the Elevate program by watching the recording of the October 1, 2021 Elevate presentation. You can also find the presentation deck here.
We welcome applicants who fall into one of the following categories:
1. Registered Yukon tourism-focused businesses who
- have been in operation for at least one year,
- cater mainly to visitors, and
- fall into one of the following sectors of tourism:
- entertainment and recreation,
- accommodations, scenic and sightseeing transportation and experiences,
- travel arrangement and reservation services.
2. Established Yukon-based Non Governmental Organizations who
- have been in operation for at least two years,
- are in good standing with Yukon Societies, and
- offer a tourism experience.
Eligible projects must fit into one of the following two themes:
1. Destination Development: to support projects that take advantage of post-pandemic opportunities through strategic planning for medium to long-term investments.
2. Product Development: to help tourism businesses and organizations adapt to the “new normal,” to modernize tourism offerings and to help the sector adopt more environmentally sustainable practices
Please note: Consideration may be given to businesses and organizations that do not meet these definitions, but this will be done on a case-by-case basis.
Elevate will fund:
1. 100% of the total project budget to a maximum of $10,000 including GST
2. 75% of the total project budget to a maximum of $30,000 including GST
- Read the Yukon Elevate Tourism Program Guidelines thoroughly before applying where you will find full eligibility and funding information.
- Contact TIA Yukon, WTAY, or YFNCT if you have application questions or to help you find a project that will match your business goals.
- Apply through the online application form linked below.
- All applications will be reviewed within 15 days of receiving a completed application and applicants will be contatced directly upon a decision from the Elevate Assessment Committee.
Soumettre votre candidature en français
Si vous voulez bénéficier du programme Elevate en français, vous pouvez accéder aux lignes directrices içi. Pour recevoir un formulaire de candidature en français, contactez l’équipe à l’adresse courriel firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get in touch with the Elevate team
Please note that while we strive to get back to clients as soon as possible, response times could be up to 48 hours. Thank you for your patience.
- 867-667-7698, ext 201
Looking for a contractor for your project?
Contact one of the following Chambers of Commerce:
Yukon Chamber of Commerce
Yukon First Nation Chamber of Commerce
Whitehorse Chamber of Commerce
Watson Lake Chamber of Commerce
Frequently Asked Questions
How do the funding tiers work?
Please see the examples below to learn more about which funding tier would best fit your project.
75% funding tier
- Example of maximum funding amount: Total project budget is $40,000. Elevate will fund 75% of the total project budget up to $30,000 max. Therefore, at a $40,000 project, the recipient would receive $30,000 from Elevate and the recipient would be financially responsible to pay for the remaining 25%, which would be $10,000 to complete the project.
- Example of under maximum funding amount: Total project budget is $20,000. Elevate will fund 75% of the total project budget, which would be $15,000 and the recipient would be financially responsible for paying for the remaining $5,000. To complete the project recipients must show receipts for all expenses including their 25% contribution to prove the project is complete.
100% funding tier
- Example of over maximum funding amount: Total project budget is $12,000. Elevate would fund up to $10,000 at 100% and the recipient would be financially responsible for paying for the remaining $2,000 and must show receipts for all expenses including the costs they covered to prove the project is complete.
- Example of under maximum funding amount: Total project budget is $8,000. Elevate would fund the full $8,000.
Are in-kind contributions considered eligible for the 25% contribution? No, all contributions are based on actual expenses with receipts.
If I received funding from Elevate in 2020/2021 for a product development project can I apply again for a product development project? Yes, but your project must not be similar to your previously funded project.
Can I access Elevate funds and another fund to complete my Elevate project? Yes, but the two funds must cover separate expenses. You cannot have one expense covered by both funding programs.
Are Atlin businesses and organizations eligible for Elevate funding? Yes.
Can my project have a total budget of over $40,000? Yes, as long as you can cover the costs above the maximum funding amount of $30,000.
Should you apply for Elevate or the Tourism Relief Fund? The Government of Canada through the Tourism Relief Fund (TRF) is providing support to the tourism sector across the country. In the Yukon, TRF is being administered by CanNor. The fund is accessible via one of 2 streams. Businesses with projects that have total budgets of $40,000 or less should apply through Elevate and for projects $40,001 or more businesses should apply directly to CanNor. When deciding where to apply businesses must also remember that the TRF fund allows for only one project to be funded so if businesses apply to Elevate they cannot apply to CanNor directly, and vice versa. It is also important to note that if an application is not successful through Elevate it won’t be considered for funding directly from CanNor, and vice versa. Any CanNor specific questions about TRF can be directed to Carly Carruthers at email@example.com or 867-333-0726.
Elevate is TIA Yukon’s response to COVID-19 effects on the tourism sector through a unique partnership between TIA Yukon, the Wilderness Tourism Association of Yukon and the Yukon First Nations Culture and Tourism Association. The program is funded by the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency with support from the Government of Yukon’s Department of Tourism and Culture.